Canadian Surgical Technologies and Advanced Robotics (CSTAR)
- CSTAR is a collaborative research and education program of the London Health Sciences Centre, Lawson Health Research Institute and Western University.
- CSTAR is a 2100 sq. m. facility which integrates research, development, preclinical and clinical testing, validation, commercialization and clinical implementation of Minimally Invasive Surgery technologies and robotics. CSTAR has been contracted by global medical device companies to do product validation and to ensure rapid introduction and acceptance of techniques and devices through education.
Lawson Health Research Institute (Lawson)
- Lawson is one of Canada’s largest hospital-based research institutes with over 500 principal investigators and clinicians. Lawson is currently involved in more that 1800 active clinical trials (Phase 1 to Phase 1V) and is recognized worldwide for its “bench to bedside” approach to innovative medical research in fields of biotechnology, imaging and medical devices.
- Core research strengths at Lawson include drug discovery, preclinical and clinical studies, technologies for non-invasive molecular imaging, diagnostic image integration and image guided therapy, magnetic field therapies, chronic disease monitoring, surgical technologies, tissue survival, transplantation and regenerative medicine, detection and treatment of cancer, orthopaedics, fetal and child health, rehabilitation and neurological sciences.
Robarts Research Institute
- The Robarts Research Institute is a key contributor to Western’s
research excellence. Focused on the improved detection and
treatment of debilitating disease, Robarts boasts 600 people
including 43 principal investigators and a powerful suite of core
research facilities – from DNA sequencing and flow cytometry
resources to ultra-high field imaging equipment and expertise.
Robarts has key strengths in advanced medical imaging, cellular
and molecular biology, genomics, immunology, and stem cell
biology - an interdisciplinary approach with physicians and
physicists, biologists, and biomedical engineers working under one
roof with collaboration extending to 20 countries worldwide.
Robarts has experienced commercialization success with more than
80 patents filed, 15 licensing agreements, and eight spinoff
The Stiller Centre
- The Stiller Centre for Technology Commercialization facilities are
designed for start up Life Science and technology companies
looking to establish a North American presence. The Centre offers a range of services to tenants which include labs, shared facilities,
market research, mentoring and operations analysis.